Tuesday 3 June 2008

Engaging with the needs of different target audiences

To develop the sequence ideas further I think I need to consider that there are many reasons why people do an environmentally friendly acts, here’s just a few.

- Guilt trip - Play on the emotions
- Money savings
- Keeping up appearances – the neighbours have a got a solar panel so will I
- Trendy – It’s cool to be green
- Peer pressure – Everyone else is doing it so why aren’t you
- Fines – Forced to pay the price, poorer people
- A safer future – Those who are conscious of the scientific consequences

I think if I bear these in mind I can use one of them to give me an angle when appealing to a specific target audience. For instance, the guilt trip would work better when trying to engage with home owners with children. Trendy would appeal to the twenty somethings. Keeping up appearances might appeal to the more lucrative individual who can afford to buy a solar panel to match that of his neighbour.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Conrad, it's looking great, puts mine to shame.

I'm going to an illustration conference tomorrow in London and one of the things on the itinery is 'Drawing the line: addressing climate change & the ethical debate in illustration
With sustainability and the eco-issue affecting all areas of our lives, what role are illustrators and graphic designers taking in addressing climate change? How will illustrators rise to the challenge? And, should illustrators adopt a more ethical approach when considering commissions?'
I'll let you know if any of it is relevent to your study if you like.